Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Here I come to save the day!"

Mighty Mouse sang those words, didn't he? He wore a cape, too, right? That caped vermin is the image that popped into my head when I saw a faint plus sign appear on the pee stick. Strange association to make at such a crucial moment, which probably leaves you asking "Why are you thinking of outdated cartoon characters?" That would be because my 40-something-going-on-19-year-old husband (who is a nurse by trade and clown by habit) had reassured me time and time again that his "boys" could do the job. He thoroughly believed (and still does incidentally) that his sperm were super hero strength, even suggesting at one point that they carried side arms to blast anything that obstructed their path to victory.

Though we weren't trying to conceive, we weren't diligently trying not to either. And we hadn't been for quite some time - at least 2 years. The fact that this modus operandi hadn't resulted in any screaming, crying, smelly humans left me a little concerned that my plumbing was not up to snuff, especially since he was so confident that his was. He had such faith in his "boys", in fact, that we made a bet....and I'm not one to wager. The terms were simple: If I got pregnant I had to refer to him on all occasions, in all places as "Super Sperm". If I didn't get knocked up then he had to say those four dreaded words - "You are right, dear." Seemed fair enough. I risked the possibility of embarassment from saying the word "sperm" in public, and he had to eat crow. Given our history, I knew I'd win.

That darn plus sign blew it for me though. Guess I better find him a cape.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! And I see you think you're only having one? Uh huh, yep, I said the same thing... :) I can't wait to read more blog entries (in all your spare time and with all your spare energy. ;) Hugs!!!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete