Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Running out of womb

My doc introduced me to a new concept at my last visit: the difference between gestational age in chronology and size. For example, I'm 20 weeks along now and the twins are each measuring a few days more than that themselves. But because of the double occupancy, I'm measuring 30 weeks according to my uterus and belly.

On the one hand, it scares the bejeezus out of me that I've gotten so big so quickly. What will the next 20 weeks look like? Can I make it that far?

On the other, I'm quite proud that I've managed to grow as well as I have...more like the twins have grown so well (they're both weighing 11 oz!)...without gaining any more than 10 lbs. and considering that I stayed so sick for the first 16 weeks.

I've literally gone from the appearance of a girl with no preggo eggo to what looks like a chick 7 months along in just a few weeks! I went from coworkers who had no clue I was pregnant one week to thinking I was ready to pop the next. I'm packing a mean front hump these days.

It's an incredibly surreal feeling to have your body and appearance change so drastically so quickly. The only comparison I have is how you don't recognize yourself when passing your reflection in a mirror after coloring your hair. I have the same sensation each time I pull back the shower curtain after bathing. Who is that swollen naked chick in my bathroom?! The hubs and I need to have a conversation!!!!!

The doc has me on progesterone shots through week 35 with the hopes of getting my uterus to expand beyond 40 weeks in measure.....preferably around 46. We're hoping that I'll overgrow on the inside in order to provide more cushion for the twinks to bake longer - overcompensation via overexpansion, if you will.

Of course, Octomom has proven that the body is capable of stretching much further. The problem lies with the cervix. Almost like the subfloor in a house - if it's weak with good materials on top of it, it cannot sustain increasing weight without support.

With this in mind, I'm resolved to stop picking up things that are even slightly heavy. I'm not going to be bending over to pick things up that aren't absolutely necessary. Doc has told me that exercise beyond going to work is not an option. I will probably still try for the occasional leisurely stroll around the block, though. I will be wearing a belt beneath my belly to help relieve whatever pressure I can. I will take the lectures from the hubs about what I can and cannot do.

These things are incredibly difficult for me considering I'm quite the independent person. It makes me feel lazy to not do for myself. But I do not want bed rest. I do not want to be hung upside down by my heels. I do not want premature babies. I do not want to spend countless hours in NICU. And I do not want to have to reinforce my weak subfloor (aka cervix) with stronger floor joists (aka cervical cerclage - surgery to sew the cervix shut)

Prayerfully, I won't have to do any of these things.

Prayerfully, I won't run out of womb.

Then these two kiddos can save the arguments over personal space for the day when they realize they have to share a bedroom and a car....not just a uterus.

No comments:

Post a Comment