Friday, July 6, 2012

Why you have to go and make things so complicated?

It should be as simple as a + b = c. But it isn't.

Sitting in my 8th grade algebra class, I can recall staring at the pages of my text book thinking my assignment was easy enough, only to come home that evening and realize while doing my homework that it was much harder than it initially looked.

Our health teachers would have us think that another math problem is simple, as well:
sperm + egg = screaming, pooping, expensive baby in 9 short months

But getting pregnant and having a child hasn't been as easy as they warned. The mechanics of it may be simple for some. In my case, however, none of it has been simple. Becoming a parent is by far the most complicated matter I've dealth with in my 30 years.

Why is it that some of the most basic things in life are so riddled with complication?

The decision to have a child is incredibly complex, or at least it is in my world. As strange as it may seem, I envy people who have such lackadaisical approaches to marriage and family planning. They make it seem as though their "accident" was their intention all along and it's no big deal. While I agree that everything happens for a reason, I prefer to think that my meager influence over my destiny can help make it for the right reason though....whatever "it" might be. 

The old adage of "first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage" may be true for some people. But for me it breaks down to a math problem with a lot of additional variables that make it incredibly difficult for me to solve....even harder than that algebra homework. My problem looks more like this:

love + marriage (+ # of years we've been together - impact on children from husband's 1st marriage + folic acid - serious expense of 2 previous D&C's from miscarriage + unpredictable amount of joy to our lives - cost of daycare - sleep + potential regret) = baby in a baby carriage

Or does it?

I just don't know. I make it a point to remind myself that my life is not in my hands, but instead God's.

But, I sincerely hope He's better at algebra than I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment