Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mmmm mmmm (not so) good!

Some people are soup snobs and refuse to eat canned soup because it's just not as good as their granny's homemade such-and-such.

I've never been that gal. I grew up on canned soup.

I seriously considered the name Campbell for one of the twinks at one point. The hubs vetoed it though.

Earlier in my pregnancy I was intrigued by the floating clumps of stuff at the top of the Campbell's soup container....or "liquid gold". It looked tasty.

Okay. Fine. I'll admit it.

It was tasty.

But I recently had reason to put down the bowl of soup and step away from the Campbell's can when I noticed two new symptoms of pregnancy. I feared they were directly linked to my overconsumption of this canned chickeny deliciousness.

1) I was developing chicken skin on the inside of my arms - soft, speckled looking, with raised goose/chicken bumps on it.

2) Something gold in color and thick like broth was coming out of my boobs. It looked like chicken noodle soup!

I thought the Campbell's motto was "mmmm mmmm good!" and I agreed for a long time.

But I recently found myself understanding the truth behind the saying "you can have too much of a (mmmm mmmm) good thing" because I was developing chicken skin on my arms and oozing broth from my boobs.

Turns out the boob liquid is normal. It's called colostrum - and it's the first sign of milk production in your mammary glands and packed with protein and antibodies that newborns benefit greatly from. I'm prayerful that this is also a sign that I'll be able to produce enough milk for both twinks since it's coming in so early. Any free sustenance will be awesome! Plus, the health benefits for the babies can't be beat. Breast milk is unquestionably mmmm mmmm good in function if not in flavor (I will not be finding out for sure despite that it will be my own. I may be brave enough to taste the yellow chicken clumps, but I'm not brave enough for boob juice).

As for the chicken skin on the underside of my arms...who knows? There's no chapter for chicken skin in the What to Expect When You're Expecting table of contents. Trust me, I looked.

I remember seeing similar skin on my grandmother when I was little. I even recall sitting in her lap and playing with it because it was so soft. Maybe it's just a symptom of aging and I'm destined to have it beyond this pregnancy (Oh dear heavens, please say it's not).

Thank goodness it doesn't have feathers in it, though.

I've got enough fur to deal with for now. Feathers would just be too much to handle.


No comments:

Post a Comment