Friday, December 21, 2012

Thar she blows!

I would have back handed Captain Ahab or Ishmael had either of them really uttered those words at me. But for some reason, "Thar she blows!" is the line I find shouting in my head each time I catch a sideways glimpse of myself in the mirror.

I look like a whale.

No flippers thank goodness, but I stay sweaty and wet looking. My face is breaking out in what look like barnacles, I'm so pale I'm almost glowing, and I would swear I gaining an extra layer of blubber. Not to mention the fact that this "bump" is more like a hump that popped up overnight. Not too far from Melville's description of the elusive Moby Dick, huh?

And the bump keeps growing! Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT complaining because I know this means (in theory) that the 2 people inside of me are also growing and I'm very grateful for that.

I'm just so confused! How is this happening already? I'm throwing up at least twice a day. I've gained a total of 3 lbs. And the 2 kiddos inside me are no bigger than the size of limes and don't weigh even that! So where is this newfound mass generating from? I'm not even 14 weeks along. Yeesh.

While I don't make a habit of complaining about my size out loud to others (except my husband when he rubs my belly), I am incredibly self-concious of this orb in front of me. For now, others don't seem to notice the resemblance between me and aquatic creatures - that or they're just kind enough not to mention it. I have had a few random belly rubbers (ps...not sure how I feel about that just yet), but at least no one's chasing me around with a harpoon.

Thank goodness! Don't think I could run (or swim) fast enough to get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment